Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What Will You Wear?

This has been a thought of mine for a while, but I am now convinced that there is a truth to this.

I believe that what you wear will affect your soul; the way you think, your motives, your personality, your decisions. You.

One day I dressed nice: H&M slacks, H&M dress shoes, skinny tie, white dress shirt, and a comfy sage green wool winter coat. No matter how much I tried, I acted differently and could not escape the fact that I looked "rich".

Might have been that same day where I changed because I was thinking on this: Jeans, t-shirt, flannel, tennis shoes. Now I wasn't distracted. Somehow, I was able to keep the focus away from myself all of a sudden. Whereas, with my other attire, I couldn't get the focus away from me. With this attire, I seemed "poor" in a sense.

This is really shaping the way I look for clothing. I don't usually anyways, but what if the world, or at least the Church saw this? I am not saying that we should not purchase nice clothing. But why are we? Who are we impressing? Even in church. I know for myself that I love dressing up for God, but then I forget what other people think.

I believe there is a trend (always has been at least) in Christianity. Fashion.

Let's be honest: Toms shoes. I love them. I love their purpose. But it has become a trend in the church. I am not even saying it is right or wrong, but am just pointing out the obvious.

I wonder what it would look like if our generation dressed in lower class. Or at least not paying so much attention to how we look.

No comments:

Post a Comment