Thursday, May 17, 2012

Faithful In The Little Things

"To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away."
-Matthew 25:29

"The master said, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount. So now, I will give you many more responsibilities. Let's celebrate together!"
-Matthew 25:23

"He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much..." -Luke 16:10


What's interesting about the "little things" is that it is similar to "keeping His commands." Jesus said that if we truly love Him, we would keep His commands; we would take heed and obey, as if His commands and His words were what we lived for.

What happens when we keep His commands proving to Him that we actually love Him? "He who has my commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I will love Him and manifest Myself to him" (John 14:21). He also said in v. 23, "If anyone loves me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make our home with him."

God makes it clear that if we really want more of His power, the only way to get there is by using what you do have. I cannot wait and wait and wait to receive more of Him. The way He chooses for us to grow in the power of the Spirit it by obeying Him, and obeying His command: to go.

I had this conversation with a good man earlier in prayer. His name is Paul. He spoke with boldness and authority.

Paul: "What are you waiting for?"
Me: "The baptism of the Spirit."
Paul: "You have been baptized in the Spirit. What are you waiting for?"
Me: "The power of the Holy Spirit."
Paul: "You have received the fullness of His glory inside of you. You have all His power. What are you waiting for?"
Me: "To be sent."
Paul: He said, "Go!" two thousand years ago. What are you waiting for?"

I had nothing else to say.

He continued: "We think sometimes we are waiting on the Lord, when He is actually waiting for us."

Be faithful in the little things. This is how we exceedingly grow in Him. What will we do with His orders? Will we rebel? 

One of the main challenges of this is when we are alone. If all authorities are appointed by God (Rom. 13:1), then I am to respect and obey orders of the authorities around me. Not even authorities but we are called to love one another, to honor and respect each other. 

One example I have is of this year: It was a house rule to take off my shoes when I enter the house I was renting. Almost all the time I would follow it when the owners were there. However, I noticed after a few times of coming home when the owners weren't there, I went straight to my room without taking my shoes off. It was then that I realized, "I'm not being obedient." I didn't think it was a big deal, but then again to God, will I be faithful in the little things? After this, I began taking my shoes off when the owners weren't there and I felt like I was being obedient and no joke, felt the grace of God because of it. 

What are these little things? Keep an open mind. God is faithful to show us.

3 comments:

  1. wow, that's such a good picture of how it's a two way street...
    God takes care of his children whether we decide to love Him or not, but only when we decide to love him, and beginning by being obedient in the little things, does the relationship grow and blossom!!!
    It's important to remember that even in times of rebellion God does not turn his back on us, but he is waiting for us to come and work with him instead of by ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, while I don't like the metaphor as much, a master feeds his dog no matter how unruly he is. but if he learns sit, stay, come, and no, really well and doesn't do things he's not supposed to, he gets to learn cooler tricks and can be trusted off leash and around kids and stuff like that. also, they can learn hand signals so they don't even need voice commands, they can enter agility competitions, THEY CAN DO ALL SORTS OF COOL STUFF! :D There's a whole world of things that we can do with God, that he would LOVE to teach us, that we can't do until we learn sit, stay, come, and no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good! I actually do like the analogy very much

    ReplyDelete